Happy New Year! I hope all our school families enjoyed their holiday celebrations with family and friends. The following is some news I would like to share with our school families:
- We have received approval for a change in the school calendar in order to hold a professional development day for our teachers on Friday, February 14th. As shared at the November PTA meeting, this will be a non-attendance day for our students. February Vacation for students will now begin on Friday, February 14th. Students will return to school on Monday, February 24th. Supervision will be provided if you must send your child to school on February 14th.
- At the end of November, Superintendent Madelene Chan, conducted a Department of Education Quality Review. She visited P.S. 153 over the course of two days to determine an overall rating for our school. She observed instruction, spoke to students, parents, teacher teams and administrators. She also reviewed curriculum and student data. Using the Quality Review Rubric which rates schools on a scale of 1 through 4, we received a score of 3, rating our school Proficient. The entire Quality Review Report is available on the school website.
- Beginning Monday, January 13, families can apply to kindergarten online through Kindergarten Connect, over the phone by calling 718-935-2400 or in person at a local Enrollment Office.
- It is with regret I share the news that two of our Assistant Principals will be leaving us at the end of the month.
- Mr. Matthew Willard is becoming a Principal of PS 300, a citywide gifted and talented elementary school, in District 30. He began his career with the Department of Education at PS 153 in 2003 as a special education teacher. He also taught technology classes during his time at our school. After an absence of two years he returned to PS 153 as an Assistant Principal. Throughout his career as an educator, Mr. Willard has strived to meet the needs of our staff and our students. He will be missed, but we congratulate him on his new position and know he will continue to make a difference in the lives of children he serves.
- Ms. Sandra Vartanian is retiring after over thirty years within the New York City Department of Education, the last nine years serving as assistant principal of PS 153. Ms. Vartanian came to PS 153 from PS 81 in Ridgewood where she was a Kindergarten teacher and Literacy Coach. Over the past nine years she has become a valued member of our school family, supporting teachers, students, parents and administration. Though our school will not be the same without her, we wish he a future filled with delight as she leaves us to begin this new chapter in her life.